Monday, January 5, 2009

Murphey's Law in Birthing


When I was pregnant with my daughter I remember thinking, and telling people, that labor couldn't be THAT bad or women wouldn't keep having babies. I wasn't worried about it. I had decided to do a natural birth with no medications and letting nature take it's course. I was also convinced I'd have the baby earlier because she was measuring so big. So my mom came to visit and stayed three weeks. Well, after week 2 had come and gone we realized that this baby wasn't coming anytime soon. So for my mother's sake we induced.

I was in Germany for her birth. I had great expectations of how wonderful this experience would be. I absolutely loved my Dr and I just knew I'd get one of the two midwives I adored. Ah, yes...Murphey's Law. My Dr told me he was going on holiday and wouldn't be back in time to deliver my baby, but the other Dr was great and he'd be there. I didn't like that Dr. He was great, but he didn't speak much English so I think that made him less communicative. To top it off, the midwife I got that day was the Russian who though was very sweet, didn't speak hardly any English at all. No, my birthing experience was not the perfect and beautiful experience I had hoped for. I was terrified because of the lack of communication and instead of the serene and beautiful birth I pictured I ended up a hysterical mess. Now, not to say that the Dr and midwife were at fault. They did the best they could under the circumstances. They thought I'd end up needing a C-section because I was progressing so slowly. Transition hit me pretty hard and fast...you know, the moment when your body tells you the baby is coming NOW. The Dr didn't even get there in time and the poor midwife was left alone to deal with this hysterical mother-to-be. I laugh thinking back on it. It's my own fault for not doing more research and really preparing myself for what might happen. I told myself that next time...yes next time I would be prepared and I would have that serene and beautiful birthing experience. Well, I told myself that once I got over the fear of having another baby. It's true what they say...women are programmed to forget the worst of labor.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Ack! That must have been terrifying to not be able to communicate with your doctor and midwife!

I can't wait to hear about Jacobe's birthy!