Thursday, March 12, 2009

What The Kids Are Doing Now...

I wanted to update on what shenanigans the kids are up to lately. I tend to forget about poor Jacobe since Jaycie takes up a lot of my energy, haha. So I'll start with him. He's still gaining weight. He's 19 lbs now. No weight loss while sick for him. He's getting so active and loves jumping in his jumperoo. He thinks his sister is hilarious. He also loves pulling her hair. Sometimes he acts like he wants to crawl, but he's really not much of a tummy time baby. He hates tummy time. He likes "mommy hold me" time much better. The Chunk's very interactive and playful now. He's always cracking me up.

Jaycie is something else. One minute I'm wishing I could lock her in her room and the next she's cracking me up by wiggling her eyebrows and asking me if I feel better now. A common conversation goes like this:

Me: Jaycie Bree! Do NOT touch that!
Jaycie: Mad at me, you, Mommy?
Me: No, I'm not mad at you, I just want you to start listening to me.
Jaycie: (as she wiggles her eyebrows) Feel better now, Mommy? Feel better?

Then she goes right back to doing what she got in trouble for. Sigh, this girl. I've also been concerned about the amount of TV she watches. I think I mentioned before that she loves acting out her favorite TV shows. Right now she's telling our dog "Swiper no swiping!" I've the habit of leaving the TV on for background noise. I've always done it, stemming from my bachelorette days. Usually she goes between playing and watching her favorites. But lately I try to shut it off, especially when Spongebob comes on. She loves Spongebob but it's definitely not one that I really want her watching. If I turn the TV off she brings me the remote, "He-ya, Mommy, weemote. Turn on TB, Mommy! I wan watch Kai-Lan." So I've decided that if she wants to watch TV she has to work for it. Today, I asked her to count. First in English, then in Chinese. I said, "Count in Chinese now." And she asked "like Kai-Lan?" and then counted to 3 in Chinese with perfect tone and inflections. Then I told her to count in Spanish, she asked if I meant like Dora then counted to 10 in Spanish. Then I asked her to count in Korean and much to my pride she counted perfectly to 5 in Korean without hesitation. Now that I had reaffirmed that yes I am teaching my daughter something regardless of her watching TV, I turned it on. Just my luck, too, Spongebob is on. Honestly, I do like Spongebob. I think it's funny, but not for my 2 year old who LOVES to mimic.

She also loves to sing songs. She knows the hand motions to Itsy Bitsy Spider and to Jesus Loves Me. The latter melts my heart. I'm going to post a video of her one of these days. The other day when we went to Walmart she was amazed at all the aisles of Easter stuff. She ran back and forth gasping and holding her hand to her mouth oh so dramatically while yelling "Oh my goodness!" and "Holy crap!" Yeah, yeah, I know. But it's just so darn cute when she says it! I'm telling you, I know I'm biased and all, but my daughter is AWESOME! She uses the word "awesome"! And lately she's been saying "Ah, that's sweeet!" How cool is that? She's been asking me for a skateboard too. Josh likes to watch that show on MTV, Scarred. Jaycie will watch it with us and when the poor fool falls she yells out "Oooooh, crap!" Not the crowning glory of our parenting influence, but I still say it's cool. Oh, and if you've watched that show and you're wondering...no, we did not get Jacobe's name from that show. We had picked Jacobe before ever watching it. Though it did make me mad, I wonder how many Jacoby's will pop up now. You try and try to pick a name that's unique and cool and dozens of them pop up once you name your kid. Anyway, I digress. This post is probably not put together very well. I blame it on this head cold. Until next time!

2 comments:

marineof2 said...

Poor Jacobe- most of that post was about his sister yet again :D Just kidding! Your kids crack me up!

Jammie said...

You know...going into paragraph 3 I thought the same thing. LOL