Thursday, February 19, 2009

Painting and Cornstarch Goo


Ok, this one really has nothing to do with what I'm blogging about...but I did take it today...doesn't that count? Today was a gorgeous day and so I decided that after lunch I would take the kids outside to enjoy the sunshine. Jacobe slept soundly in his car seat for most of it but Jaycie was beyond excited as she watched me drag her paint equipment outside. She danced around asking if it was time yet. It was nearly impossible trying to get her play clothes on until I finally told her if she didn't sit still for 5 mins she wouldn't be able to play outside. Of course that settled her down but she was still nearly shaking with excitement. I was combining two of her favorite things--playing outside and painting. I also threw in sidewalk chalk (another favorite) and made a special treat for her. I combined a can of cornstarch with some water in a large shallow container and put it outside with everything else.
As soon as we got everything outside she immediately went for the paints. She painted hearts (which she calls happy) and butterflies and rainbows. She also painted her nose then ran to me demanding I take a picture. She moved from the paints to sidewalk chalk. That's when she noticed the "water". She went to wash her hands in it when she realized that this isn't just water. No, this was ooey gooey fun! She had so much fun trying to pick up the cornstarch mixture and bring some to me before it liquefied. If you've never played with cornstarch goo let me be the one to convince you of it's awesomeness. When you touch the mixture it feels solid, but when you pick it up it turns to liquid. And it's such fun to squish your toes in. According to Jaycie "it feels nice!" The first time she stepped in it her shoe got stuck in the goo and I had to help her out. Actually, it was stuck so good I had to take her foot out of the shoe first. From then on she went barefoot. Jaycie loved this goo so much she couldn't decide which was more fun--painting or playing in the goo. So she decided to combine the two at one point.
I highly recommend creating this cornstarch goo for your kids. It's so much fun! Even my husband was captivated by it's gooey fun. And the cleanup is fairly easy.












1 comment:

marineof2 said...

Looks like she had a blast! I like the pic of her standing in the goo painting