Saturday, February 14, 2009

Water Play


My daughter loves to play with water. In fact, it's probably an obsession of hers. No matter how far back we push the water dispenser onto the counter she somehow eventually figures out how to reach it. The good thing about this is that my daughter can get her own water when she's thirsty. The bad thing is she can get water to play in. Another problem we have is that we can never seem to find a sippy cup, especially one with a valve. Now this clever little girl can still figure out a way to get the water out of a sippy cup even with valve, but it does slow her down. However, when we can't locate a sippy cup she gets a regular cup, and she loves that. I wouldn't be surprised if she's been hiding her sippy cups just so to make it easier to play in water.

One of the things I love about my little girl is that she has such an active imagination and she's so inventive. These characteristics of hers also tend to wear me out, and combine that with her love of water play and you can only imagine the shenanigans she gets into. Like this summer when I bought her a water table to play with...yeah, she decided it was a swimming pool and when I had my back turned for just a few seconds she was sitting in it. Or take just now for instance, she poured her water from her cup to the detached hatch door to her Mrs Potato head to drink out of. She also loves to pretend to be a puppy or kitty and pour water on the table and lick it up. One of the most common phrases in this house is, "I said, STOP PLAYING IN YOUR WATER!" It really doesn't do much to stop her. I can put her in time-out or *gasp* pop her little hiney and yet nothing will curb her watery obsession. I tend to be more lenient with her on this subject than her father. I believe water play and messes are big part of development and learning for her. Which is why we try to play with play dough and finger paints often. However, I do try to teach her there is a time and place for messes. This is something she hasn't quite grasped yet. And so, I will continue to find watery messes every day until she does. I pray, for my sanity, that that day comes soon.

Well, I've got to go change a certain toddler's clothes. She's soaking wet and saying, "I'm wet! Bad Jaycie, wet!" That's a mystery in this house...why she says "bad Jaycie", her father and I never tell her she's bad. And it's not like she feels badly for what she's done, she just thinks it's funny. I think she picked it up from one of her books. That girl loves books, and her favorite is No David, but that's another blog. I'm off to clean yet another mess, until next time!

PS, check this out for more on water play! http://betterkidcare.psu.edu/AngelUnits/OneHour/WaterPlay/WaterLesson.html

1 comment:

marineof2 said...

LMAO! I remember that picture- love it!