Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jacobe's Eating Solids

I'm sure I've mentioned that Jacobe has started solids. Though, he really hasn't eaten much. I tried butternut squash (my sister made it for Havanna while she was here) and he didn't like that much. I tried applesauce, but again that was a no go. He likes bananas but prefers to have them frozen in a mesh feeder, not spoon fed. He also likes cantaloupe in the mesh feeder. Rice cereal is definitely not a favorite for him. So really, feeding him solids is more like trying to coax him to take the smallest bit of whatever I'm offering. Usually he absolutely refuses after the first bite or gags every time I do get the spoon in his mouth. That is, until tonight. I grabbed what I thought was a sweet potato from the potato bar at Golden Corral tonight. It was a yam. Oh well, close enough. I opened it up and mashed it up with a tad bit of water and a couple pieces of ice to cool it down. That boy tore it up. He ate a surprisingly large amount of the yam. I was beginning to think he just didn't want anything to do with solids yet, but apparently he was just waiting for the right food. Jaycie was always a sucker for the sweet potatoes (or gogumah as she calls them, which is Korean for sweet potato). So looks like I need to go to the health food store and stock up on some organic sweet potatoes and yams. Maybe I'll try some butternut squash again. Although, you know the other day the nurse said I better not feed him solids yet. She said I'd have to get 3 jobs just to have enough money to feed him. After seeing him tear up that yam, I think she's right. HAHA!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Sweet potatoes and bananas were Alex's absolute favorite. He would eat TONS of them. He also spit and gagged at everything else until the 3rd or 4th try. But it took trying over and over and over again until he'd like it. Eventually, he'd start eating them and then he wouldn't be able to get enough. lol