Friday, April 24, 2009

My Core Values of Parenting...

Like I've mentioned before, I'm pretty laid back as a parent. However, there are a few areas where I feel very strongly on. I've decided I should talk with Josh about our core values of parenting so that there are areas that we never disagree about. We already have a few that we have always agreed on without actually declaring them core values. I tell my sister that just because I feel strongly about something or I don't feel strongly about something doesn't mean that she's wrong. And just because her Dr tells her something doesn't mean that she has to take his word for it. Every well baby appointment or checkup for the kids the pediatrician gives me a hand out on taking care of my baby/toddler. There are some things I agree with and other things I don't agree with. At Jacobe's 6 mos well baby appointment the Dr insinuated that I should have started him on solids at 4 mos and that now I should play catch up by handing him a baby cookie and giving him mashed potatoes. Both of those foods have multiple ingredients that I don't believe he's ready for. I respectfully disagree with my Dr's and their hand outs all the time. Every book and hand out and Dr's advice are usually based on opinion. One hand out said I should be letting Jacobe cry it out now. I disagree. I let him fuss, but if he starts crying I pick him up. You can always find a book or a Dr who will back your decisions if it's not a major issue. All Dr's agree that you don't feed infants under 12 mos honey or peanut butter and that you keep your baby rear-facing in their car seat until 20 lbs AND 1 year for example. The minor issues are up for debate.

I know there are people who don't agree with my decisions. But I am Mommy, and I am in charge. I'm the one who has to live with my decisions. So I research research research. I read as many books and legitimate websites as I can about child rearing and nutrition and what not. I don't make my decisions lightly and certainly not my core values. Here is a rough draft of my personal core values. I'll post the ones we set in stone once we have that discussion.
  • Raising them in church is very important to us. And also knowing what they believe not just believing because they're told to.
  • Car seat safety is always priority one. We always take extra time to ensure the car seats are installed correctly. I'll keep them rear-facing until at least 2 years if I can at all help it.
  • No cry it out (CIO) as infants, especially in the early months. I feel (and there are many psychologists who agree) that if a baby is allowed to CIO too early they develop separation anxiety and even abandonment rage.
  • Nutrition is important. I want to give my kids the best start and not battle the weight issues that Josh and I have (and do). This includes no junk food until 1 year and even then at a very minimal amount (birthday cake and pizza crust is ok here and there). And I try my hardest to keep fast food away from them until they're 2, though it didn't happen quite that way with Jaycie. Pretty close though.
  • Education is very important. From working with them as babies to providing a way for them to go to college, we want to make sure they have the best education possible.

Well, those are the ones I can think of now, and the ones that I'm pretty rigid on. And now I have to tend to number 3 on the list...I'd like to go more into each of these at some point. But right now I have to console a baby boy.

2 comments:

ShevonRenee said...

I love this blog! So true...there is no set way of raising your children. You have to do what you feel is right whether it be through what you feel in your heart is right or what you find in research.

Jammie said...

:) Thanks so much stranger who I don't know and has just stumbled upon my blog. LOL, No, I guess I have to admit there is a little bias there, huh, Little Sis? But I'm glad you like it, I do tend to ramble and make little sense. HAHA. Off to read yours..which you should be updating more often. ;)